Home / DIY Adventures
Local Trip Ideas
- Flat Top Mountain, the lesser-known twin to Sharp Top Mountain, forms the popular Peaks of Otter.
- Cascade Falls is a Virginia Tech classic but is well worth the drive for LU students as well.
- Mt. Pleasant and Cole/Cold Mountain are two great hikes for those looking to go somewhere new but still within an hour from campus.
- National Geographic’s Trails Illustrated Maps are essential for finding your next hiking adventure!
- George Washington National Forest offers primitive camping opportunities for adventurers throughout Virginia’s wilderness areas!
- Peaks of Otter Campground offers a beautiful mountain camping experience between the Flat Top and Sharp Top peaks.
- Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort offers many lodging opportunities near Crabtree Falls, the Priest, and Spy Rock.
- (VA Blue Line Map)
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- The South River is a popular spot for large rainbow and brown trout in Waynesboro, VA.
- Try your luck on the James River for large muskie and smallmouth bass.
- The James River offers many adventure opportunities. Enjoy a tubing trip down the many routes near Lynchburg with Twin River Outfitters, James River Reeling & Rafting, and Alleghany Outdoors.
- The New River and New River Valley offer unlimited outdoor recreation opportunities. Looking for a relaxing float with easy water? Try Independence to Baywood (Map) For the seasoned paddler try Bridle Creek to Independence (Map)
- Read our blog, it is full of great ideas for trips and includes our 4 E’s of Decision Making for planning safe trips!
- Lynchburg Parks and Rec has a beautiful park/trail system. Be sure to enjoy them while you live in Lynchburg!